Adaminaby and the Snowy Mountains Region
The original town of Adaminaby was first known as Seymour in the 1860s. Its name was later changed to avoid confusion with the town of Seymour in Victoria.
The town was "moved" to its current site in the 1950s to make way for the first dam of the Snowy Scheme - Adaminaby Dam. Its water storage area later became known as Lake Eucumbene. Parts of the original town are still to be seen at the village of Old Adaminaby, located some seven kilometres to the south west of Adaminaby on the shores of the Lake.
The site for the twentieth century town of Adaminaby which straddles the Snowy Mountains Highway, was selected by Town Planners employed by the NSW Government and laid out in a grid pattern - similar to the previous town and also re-using many of its street names.
Today, Adaminaby is located at an elevation of just over 1000 metres on the eastern slopes of the Great Dividing Range of NSW (Monaro Range). The town has a population of approximately 230 people, with an additional 300 or more living within the nearby villages of Old Adaminaby and Anglers Reach, or on outlying rural properties.
Adaminaby is close to Kosciuszko National Park (various entry points) and provides a range of accommodation and services for visitors accessing the region in pursuit of recreational activities such as fishing, bushwalking, skiing, boating and caving.
Museum Op Shop
One of the key attractions of Adaminaby is the Museum Op Shop - located in the main street at 7-9 Denison Street. The Op Shop was established long before the Museum opened with the objective of raising essential establishment and running costs and in order to preserve the limited capital funds required to build the Museum.
The Museum Op Shop is now a permanent and much loved fixture of the town. It provides a delightful place for residents to drop in for a browse and a chat with one of the lovely volunteers who run the shop. All proceeds from the shop go to the Snowy Scheme Museum. The shop is open every day from 10.00am - 2.00pm - sometimes later during the ski season or holiday periods.
The shop sells all manner of old wares and secondhand goods including clothing, shoes, ski wear, jewellery, cutlery, silverware, crockery, pots and pans, books, records, CDs, DVDs, artworks, bedlinen, haberdashery and much, much more. Enquiries welcome: (02) 6454 1088.
A delightful art and craft market is held in the grounds of the Museum on the second Saturday of each month, from October until May each year. This is a community event with stalls displaying wares produced by local artisans and crafts persons. Locally produced food products are also often available at the markets. To hold a stall or to find out more information, please phone the Markets Coordinator (Kerry) on 0408 442 414.